Band 8a - Advanced Pharmacist Technical/Cancer Services, Pharmacy
- Band 8a
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- West Herts - General Staffing
- Watford General Hospital
- £47,544 - £53,459 pa inc HCA
- 22/04/2021 23:59
There has never been a more exciting time to join West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust!
Major redevelopment works are due for completion by 2025 or soon after. These will be most dramatic at Watford General Hospital where up to 90% of buildings will be new.
There are also plans for a digital transformation, new models of care and a multi-storey car park. As well as this, the trust – which won the UK Best Employer Award (Nursing Times 2019) – is applying for teaching hospital status in recognition of its wide and well-renowned role in educating doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals.
We are seeking a highly self-motivated and enthusiastic person with Clinical Haematology/Oncology and technical/preparative skills who can work using their own initiative and become a key team player and bring new ideas to the department.
One that is able to demonstrate leadership skills and committed to delivering high quality patient care and service development.
We provide a stimulating, friendly and professionally rewarding environment for staff to develop their clinical/technical expertise.
We have worked hard to redesign our services and have utilised technology and information effectively to deliver a high quality service for patients.
You will support the pharmaceutical input to the trusts Adult Hematology/Oncology services and support the Pharmacy Preparative Services in the provision of an aseptic preparation service, repacking, over-labeling and assembly service to external customers (Assembly & Packing Unit) all in an MHRA licensed (Specials) facility.
Main duties of the job
The role places emphasis on service development, implementation of improved ways of working and support for expansion of the service.
You will be expected to work with the senior team and contribute to service development.
It provides the ideal opportunity to develop your production/oncology experience and to gain management experience as well as support the oncology clinical trials portfolio.
You must be a registered Pharmacist with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) and possess a Clinical Pharmacy Diploma or equivalent
Previous experience working in Aseptic or Cancer service is essential. A flexible and professional approach is required. You must possess excellent communication and organisational skills and the ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team. You must be forward thinking, dynamic and have the ability to influence a wide range of health care professionals. You must be able to adapt to meet the needs of the department/service.
Working for our organisation
There has never been a more exciting time to join West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust! Major redevelopment works are due for completion by 2025 or soon after. These will be most dramatic at Watford General Hospital where up to 90% of buildings will be new.
There are also plans for a digital transformation, new models of care and a multi-storey car park. As well as this, the trust – which won the UK Best Employer Award (Nursing Times 2019) – is applying for teaching hospital status in recognition of its wide and well-renowned role in educating doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals.
We encourage and welcome people with disabilities if you need help please ask.
We reserve the right to close this advert early due to the volume of applicants. Please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
If you do not hear back within 3 weeks of your application, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- The post holder will support the Technical/Cancer Services manager in leading, delivering, developing and evaluating high quality pharmacy services to Technical and Cancer Services within the Trust.
- They will provide expert advice on pharmaceutical matters, undertaking risk management and ensuring compliance with medicines legislation.
- They will facilitate and support the efficient and cost effective use of medicines.
- The post holder will support in developing clinical audit and undertake/co-ordinate research in their area of speciality.
- To provide professional and legal supervision in the technical services department ensuring the health and safety of staff and patients
- To be responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Technical Services to ensure all activities comply with current clinical, GCP, GMP and NHSQA guidelines.
- To provide pharmaceutical and technical advice to patients / carers / ward staff
- Meet financial expectations for income generation and expenditure reduction targets within the department
- To contribute to maintaining the Pharmaceutical Quality Systems within the technical services department including Deviations, Change Controls, Risk management, Non compliances, Root Cause Analyses, Complaints and Recalls
- To contribute to the technical and strategic development of the Technical Services department ensuring service provision and quality is of an excellent standard.
- To be the super user for the Chemotherapy Electronic Prescribing System.
Your application will be scored against the Job Description
- Please see attached Job Description
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
The postholder will have regular contact with vulnerable people and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Osi Ajaegbu
- Job title
- Pharmacy Technical/Cancer Services Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number